Tesco believes in working with local businesses, government, authorities and suppliers throughout their worldwide operations. This is also the same case for their operations in Malaysia. As part of Tesco - strategy of combining world class retailing approach with a local focus in Malaysia, Tesco believes in maximizing the benefits of local sourcing.
Among the key steps undertaken are:
- Working with the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs to develop the Supplier Guidelines Communication Pack for potential suppliers.
- Organising seminars, workshops and proactively assisting SMEs on supplying to hypermarkets like Tesco.
- Developing and assisting local suppliers to supply products under the Tesco brand to Tesco hypermarkets, locally and internationally.
- Creating retail opportunities for local businesses through rental of retail areas such as shop lot, food court, temporary kiosks, etc.
- Working with State Government, FAMA, a subsidiary of Ministry of Agriculture, to maximize local sourcing opportunities.
- Creating opportunities for smaller businesses - allocating 30% of food court space for Bumiputra suppliers.